Friday, June 25, 2010

College Student's Guide: What to Have in Your Car

College Student Guide: What to have in your car
By: Jackson Kaplan


What you will want
Though you will not need all of these things…I would recommend them

FM transmitter
Chargers
GPS
Speakers
Towel,
Sunglasses
Entertainment
Liquids
Jumper Cables
Matches and Candles
Camera
Blanket
Flashlight
Batteries


FM Transmitter

This may seem like something that is not necessary, just a luxury perhaps. While this may be true for some of you, I found that I used my iPod more in my car than I did anywhere else. Of all of my friends I tend to be the one that drives everywhere. I have found that it is nice to have an FM transmitter for your iPod because then if your friends want to listen to theirs, they can, but if they are not there you can still listen to music all the time.

Chargers

The reason this is plural is that you never know what you may need to charge. I personally recommend highly the Trans4m. I got it for about $15 and it is amazing. All of my friends know that they can keep a USB plug in my car for any of their phones or iPods or anything. The Trans4m charges two USB devices. The best part about it though is that it can charge two things using the car charger, AA batteries, AC DC plug, or a 9v battery. Therefore if you are stranded and cannot get your car to start, but you also have a dying phone, then you are able to charge your phone. Also, people do not need to fight over who gets the plug. This is something that has helped me be the most popular car to drive.

GPS

This is something that I never thought I was going to need. However, when you are going to a school in a place that you do not know all that well, you will need a way to find your way around. As much fun as the occasional "adventure" is, the real problem of getting lost is something that plagues many college students. I would recommend keeping a cheaper one in your car just in case. I am not saying that you need to spend hundreds of dollars, but find one that suits your car, along with your wallet.

Speakers

Speakers may seem like a stupid thing to have in your car. I am sure you are thinking to yourself, why would i buy speakers to keep in my car when my car has speakers? Here is why. If you are driving back from somewhere, work for example, and you decide to go to the beach or park or something, you will probably want to listen to music. I would recommend the solar powered speaker that I got. It is perfect for me because it runs off of sun energy and charges my iPod. This is the main reason that I say to keep speakers in your iPod. It is also helpful when you are hanging out with your friends somewhere and you have speakers, especially if you are stranded somewhere.

Towels


I say towels, plural, because I keep at least three in my car. There is one that I keep permanently under the front of the driver's seat. The reason for this is that when it rains, my shoes get wet. I do not like to drive with wet shoes, so I have a towel there in case i need to try my shoes off. I also keep a tea towel in my middle compartment. This is so that if I have to check my oil, or wash something, or do anything else I have a towel to clean my hands off with. The third towel that is permanently in my car is in my trunk. This is because I am somewhat of a beach bum, spending most of my time off at the beach relaxing. This third towel is a massive beach towel. It is big enough for me to lay on and keep my books on so that I can study or read while I am at the beach. I would recommend highly having at least two towels.

Sunglasses

I, personally, have at least one pair of sunglasses in my car at all times. I do this so that on those days when I bring my sunglasses inside and forget that, I am not trying to drive half blinded by the sun. Another reason is that, guys, if a girl is in your car and can't see, you look really cool having a spare set of sunglasses that she can wear. Also it helps for any other person who is blinded by the light. You do not need two pairs of million dollar sunglasses at all. I got my three pairs for a total of $22.00. Just gotta shop around.

Liquids

I would recommend having at least a water bottle or two in your car at all times. This way, in an emergency, you can have something to keep from getting dehydrated. At least if you are able to drink something you will not have another problem toppled onto your situation. I would also reccomend keeping some snacks in the car, but I would not say that they are a necessity.

Jumper Cables

This one is something that everyone, no matter what, should have in their car. If you have jumper cables, you can at least attempt to be prepared. I have used my jumper cables at least ten times in just my first year of college. The reason for this is that no one thinks to bring them. If you only decide to listen to one thing I say during this article. KEEP JUMPER CABLES IN YOUR CAR.

Camera


I would say that behind jumper cables, a camera is the most important thing to have in your car. Yes, part of this may be because I am a photographer, however, you never know when you will need a camera. If you get in an accident then you will want to have a camera to take pictures of the accident site, for insurance and such. Those of you that only plan on using your car camera for these purposes are fine. However, last week I was driving home for lunch and I was incredibly happy that I keep an extra camera in my car. There, on the side of the road, was a group of construction workers taking their lunch. It was probably one of my favorite pictures of "America" that I have taken. It was just a group of guys hanging out eating their lunches. I guess that what I am saying is, you never know when the moment is going to strike when you feel like you wish, or are happy to have, a camera with you.

Blanket

The blanket is something that I believe is incredibly important. Let's say that for some reason (flat tire, crash, stall, dead battery) you are stranded on the side of the road waiting for help to come. Well if this happens during the winter you will be very glad that you kept a blanket in your car. On the other side of the spectrum, let's imagine you and your friends decide to go to the beach or to the park or to a baseball/football/lacrosse or any other kind of sporting event; wouldn't it be nice to have something to sit on?

Flashlight

I personally have a flashlight in the front and back of my car. On in the actual cabin of the car, and one in my trunk (just in case). I have two fairly small, but super powerful LED flashlights. I recommend keeping these in the car for many reasons. However, the main one is that you never know when your battery is going to die, and if and when it does having a flashlight is a definite plus. Another reasons is if you are going somewhere with your friends it is always good to have a portable flashlight. I use it when we go exploring the various parts of the city. Better safe than sorry right?

Batteries

Batteries charge everything in our worlds. Whether we realize it or not. In the trunk of my car I have a little box marked extras. In it there is a spare camera battery, AA/AAA batteries, cell phone battery, and cell phone battery charger that runs off of AA batteries. This is a good idea for anyone who drives a lot. Especially if you plan on taking road trips, because you do not know when you are going to be stopping next, so if you have an extra battery of every kind, you can't go wrong.

P.S. Have an idea for a new Guide? Have Questions for me? Email me at jacksondkaplan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment