Monday, June 21, 2010

College Student's Guide to Memory Keeping

College Students guide to memory keeping
AKA how to keep your camera safe and working in college

In all of the College Student Articles I will tell you what you want to have, why and I will give some extra tips. I am trying to supply the college students of today with a little bit of help for their first “college experience”.
Check out some of the other ones; College Student’s Guide to the Macbook Pro, College Student’s guide to Ipad, College Student’s Guide to Move In Day, College Student’s Guide to a Successful First Month, College Student’s Guide to having a fun Dorm Room and College Student’s guide to “camping”

The camera itself
First off make sure that you get a camera that fits your lifestyle. You don’t need a major SLR that costs thousands of dollars if all you want to do is shoot pictures with your friends. Once you pick your camera make sure that you test it before you really commit to anything.

Extra Supplies
If you are the kind of person that wants to take thousands of pictures there are a few things you will really want. First and foremost, buy a bag or carrying case to protect your camera.
If you keep your camera in your pocket or a purse it can easily get scratched and no one wants that. You do not need to spend too much on a carrying case . Anything over $50 for a point and shoot is too much. For SLRs anything under $100 is good. Once you have your camera bag you are going to want to buy some batteries.
There are plenty of sites that have a good price for extra camera batteries. My rule has always been that I had at least one battery for every battery that I use. Meaning if the camera uses one I have at least one extra battery. This way I always have an extra fully charged battery. So if I realize that my current battery is dead I can put it in the charger and grab my extra. The last thing you will want is multiple memory cards. This is especially important if you have an SLR. The reason is that if you go a week or two without uploading your pictures, there is nothing worse than having a full memory card and wanting to take more pictures.


Total cost:
I would say that, after the purchase of the camera itself, the total should not be too much. If you have a point and shoot your accessories should be no more than $100 dollars. That is with the extra battery, your memory card, and your bag.
This is all stuff that you do not necessarily need, but it is definitely better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Similarly, if you have an SLR you should not be spending much more than $150, after the purchase of the camera.

P.S. Have an idea for a new Guide? Have Questions for me? Email me at jacksondkaplan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment