Monday, June 28, 2010

College Student's Guide to People Watching

College Student's Guide to PeopleWatching
By:Jackson Kaplan

In all of the College Student Articles I will tell you what you want to have, why and I will give some extra tips. I am trying to supply the college students of today with a little bit of help for their first "college experience".
Check out some of the other ones; College Student's Guide to the Macbook Pro, College Student's guide to Ipad, College Student's Guide to Move In Day, College Student's Guide to a Successful First Month, College Student's Guide to having a fun Dorm Room, College Student's guide to "camping", College Student's guide to memory keeping, and College Student's Checklist for a Cross Country Road Trip

First:
I should tell you. PeopleWatching is one of my favorite things to do. It is not often that we get a chance to just relax. Everytime I got the chance I would go out to the quad at my school. I would just sit there, listen to music, maybe bring a friend and take some pictures. You never realize quite how amazing people are until you just sit and watch them. I apologize if anyone finds this weird or creepy, but I promise it is just harmless fun.

What you will want
iPod (or iPhone)
Wireless Speakers
Camera
Blanket
Snacks

iPod
I highly recommend an iPod, or some music playing device. The reason is simply that it makes it a more enjoyable experience. I would recommend a relaxing playlist. Something with Jack Johnson or Jason Mraz or anyone else like them. It is quite a great way to relax, especially after finals or another big test.

Wireless Speakers
I recommend these for two simple reasons. First off, you will want to have music when you are doing this. It is very nice and relaxing when you have some soothing music to accompany the sounds of the outdoors. The next reason, you seem a lot less creepy if you have music. If you are just sitting watching people, it seems a little off. However, if you are listening to music, people do not think twice about it. The wireless speakers I had were amazing. They were solar, so I not only didn't need a plug but I also didn't need to worry about my iPod dying.

Camera
This is not a necessity for people watching, but it can make it a little more fun. A lot of times, especially on a college campus, you will see people you know. They can make for some funny pictures if they walk by, or even stop to chat. Another benefit of having a camera is that you never know what crazy thing, or beautiful thing, is going to walk by that you will want to document.

Blanket
Another optional piece to the puzzle, however, quite a valuable one. When you are laying down in the grass, you never know what might be there. But, if you are laying on a blanket, or towel, you are not only more comfortable, but more at ease. Another benefit is that you can put things, like food or drinks, down and not be worried about germs and such.

Snacks
These are something you definitely do not need. However, I like to bring them up because, depending on how long you are outside, you will definitely get hungry. I recommend light things. I say this because if you bring lots of food it has a tendency to attract more people, and more bugs. It also tends to become more about the food than the relaxation.

P.S. Have an idea for a new Guide? Have Questions for me? Email me at jacksondkaplan@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment